Sunday, January 30, 2011

Looking Ahead

I think that one thing that is so exciting about starting this business/project is that there is so much unexplored territory. Really, I have been working as a baker for several years but have not had a lick of what the business end of a business is all about. Here I am, here we are, lapping it up and licking the bowl clean.

In all of this business planning and developing, we get to set goals for the bakery. What are our options? Who do we want to be? Where do we want to take this? There's not one answer, and certainly not a right answer. We get to be creative in our planning and goals. We wanted to sell our products through the Nebraska Food Coop, and here we are. It's going well and we're getting more comfortable and confident with every order. And while I'm talking so much about planning and goals and such, I'll say that we are now looking six months ahead to the summer. 

I just checked out the Omaha Farmers Market website and they have posted their 2011 vendor application. That's really cool because joining the Farmers Market is another step that the Two Birds want to take. It will be a chance for us to get some customer interaction. Selling through NFC is wonderful and we will continue to do that, but we will be ready for a new experience, a new challenge. 

We hope to get a spot for three or four different occasions at the Aksarben location Farmers Market, which will be on Sundays from 9am until 1pm. We have our own tent and everything! 

Of course there will be a lot for us to do in preparation if we get in (fingers crossed!) We'll have to figure out which items to make and how much to make. We'll have to purchase and/or rummage around for supplies. And we'll have to think of efficient ways of working, i.e. assigning duties, etc. By the way, is that all normal? Am I over-thinking this? I don't think so; it makes sense to me to have some kind of plan of attack. I wonder if some vendors just kind of get in there and go with it; make it up as they go. That's probably a really great way to learn quickly what works and what doesn't... then again, I suppose we'd learn quickly no matter what. And I suppose at this point I'm rambling. 

My imagination is playing. Exciting things on the horizon!

Meg




No comments:

Post a Comment