Saturday, July 9, 2011

Northern California Travel

Vacation was great! On Tuesday I got back from Arcata/Eureka California; that is Humboldt County for those of you who might be more familiar with that reference.
Mom shipped out there in September and decided to ship herself back to the midwest. In exchange for helping her drive the long way back to Omaha, I got a plane ride and short visit with precious friends whom I don't get to see often. Done deal!

A view of the recent flooding of the Missouri River. 





















While in Humboldt County, there were several important stops to make: the Redwood Forrest and the Pacific Ocean...
This is me, hugging a tree. Mmmmmm!





















So, I did visit a few of my favorite restaurants/bakeries as well...
There's Renata's Creperie in Arcata where I had a breakfast crepe stuffed with egg and basil and garlic and topped with a dollop of sour cream. Delicious!
And I also stopped into Ramone's, a bakery and coffee shop hat is favored by the locals. I actually used to work there! It's a big production bakery that makes everything under the sun: croissants, sourdough bread, tarts, tortes, cookies, pies, cheesecakes, muffins, coffeecake, and beautiful wedding cakes. Wow. I tell you what, Wow!
 40-quart mixer at Ramone's. Holy mass quantity cookies!

















And after the visit was over, it was down to business- the business of driving 1800 miles over a period of 3 days. Yeesh

Out of the Cascades and on to Reno
















Salt Flats in Utah
















My personal favorite, Wyoming and it's sky
















Back in Nebraska. I love you, trees!
















If you have the time to drive instead of fly to your destination, do it! The US is a vast array of landscapes and colors. Photographs don't hold a candle to the real thing... sort of like our muffins and cookies!

~Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment